To those who responded thank you.

I am aware of rounding issues. I do a fair bit of work in Excel which takes input in various formats, and still produces a correctly rounded result. This is what I was looking for.

That said, no further comment is necessary. It has been kindly pointed out to me that I have had a Senior's moment. It appears I asked the same question in 2019. The answer today is the same as then. What I seek is outside the scope of GNU Cash, and there appears to be insufficient call for it to warrant the work involved in changing.

Thanks all.