What ever what that is.

On 9/6/22 7:38 PM, David Carlson wrote:
Some DRIPS work that way

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022, 6:17 PM Jack Frillman <jcf_m_li...@me.com> wrote:

    Cash of course.
    How can you reinvest in something you no longer have?

    ——
    I smell carrots a-cooking and where there’s carrots, there’s a
    rabbit.
    — Yosemite Sam

    On Sep 6, 2022, at 7:04 PM, David Carlson
    <david.carlson....@gmail.com> wrote:

    Jack,
    John Ralls asked whether you received shares or cash.  It makes a
    difference.

    On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 4:30 PM John Layman
    <john.lay...@laymanandlayman.com> wrote:

        I've had the same situation, but did add a zero-share split
        to the closed
        account.  One side was a deposit to the brokerage core
        account, the other to
        Income:Dividends:Tax-Advantaged.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: gnucash-user
        <gnucash-user-bounces+john.layman=ieee....@gnucash.org>
        On Behalf Of Jack Frillman via gnucash-user
        Sent: Monday, September 5, 2022 1:13 PM
        To: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
        Subject: Re: [GNC] Mutual Fund Dividend After Sale

        No I didn't delete the account?
        Why would I do silly thing like that and lose all that history?

        The account is hidden because it's balance is 0.

        Reappearing means exactly what it says.
        I was no longer in the account tree, i.e. list, because after
        the sale it's
        balance became 0. No matter how I record that late dividend
        the balance
        becomes non 0 and the account reappears in the account tree
        or list.

        I don't under stand the last part.

        On 9/5/22 12:59 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
        > You deleted the account holding the fund after selling it?
        >
        > Otherwise, and unless you marked it 'hidden' it will always
        be there.
        > Having activity in it doesn't change that. But you wouldn't
        have
        > activity in it anyway from a dividend.
        >
        > What *exactly* do you mean by 'reappearing in my account
        list' and by
        > 'screwing everything else up'?
        >
        > A Dividend receipt would normally be between some asset
        account
        > ('bank' or a brokerage cash account if direct deposit,
        'undeposited
        > funds' if by paper check) according to how you received the
        money, and
        > an Income/Revenue account, say 'Dividends Received'. The
        FundXYZ
        > account shouldn't be touched at all.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Adrien
        >
        > On 9/5/22 11:41 AM, Jack Frillman via gnucash-user wrote:
        >> Last month I sold a mutual fund say XYZ.
        >> Several weeks after the sale closed and the calendar date
        went into
        >> the next quarter I received a dividend from XYZ.
        >> How do I enter that dividend transaction for XYZ without
        having it
        >> reappearing in my account list and screwing everything
        else up?

        Old Unix programmers never die, they just mv to /dev/null
        - Anonymous

-- David Carlson