Dan,

You should visit the GnuCash Wiki and read over the sections about

Storage Locations & Backups
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Backup
(pay particular attention to the 'related files' section so you bring over any saved reports as well as your preferences.

Upgrading
---------
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Using_Different_Versions.2C_Up_And_Downgrade

As for installation, it is the same as on the iMac. Open the .dmg file after downloading and drag and drop the GnuCash.app file to your /Applications directory. You may have to right-click and choose 'open' the first time and confirm you want to open it, which may or may not open the app. (this can happen when installing software downloaded from outside of the App Store) Then simply double-clicking the app from the Applications folder, or single-click from your Dock or Launchpad should work.