On 9/26/22 10:35 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
The "number" column is actually treated as a number!  So it is not sorted
lexically but sorted numerically.  That means 090 will come before 0190.

If you have a "number" with a non-numeric piece, it will only sort up to
that non-numeric piece, so 1a and 1b will sort "the same", as will d1 and
d2.
I thought that had changed a few versions back.

I use the NUM field for a time stamp to force my register order, because more often than not, I do not enter transactions in the order they happen, so using a time stamp on a receipt keeps them in line.

I used to use 24hr notation with a 't' appended to indicate to me that this was a time stamp and not an actual transaction number. (which sometimes I do have)

But a few versions ago, the sorting was changed so that alpha characters sort lexically and then the sort continues, though I think in that case, all subsequent characters are also sorted lexically. (and maybe even the whole thing, I haven't tested)

So now I can enter say, "14:35" instead of "1435t" as my time stamp and it sorts properly, without stopping at the ":".