Hello, Jim, this is Jim.

On 2022-10-06 16:36, flieger<at>sonic.net wrote:
I just updated from 3.8 to 4.12  In the process, the install indicated it would
delete the existing GnuCash - which is
ok as I had full backups.  After the install, the data is being stored in the
same directory into which I downloaded
the installer, not to the directory indicated in the About dialog or the
directory which was used by the previous
version.  I have been unable to change the data storage directory and have even
been unable to locate it in the
registry (using Win 8.1).

How do I change the data directory to my preferred location?

Congratulations on your upgrade.

In order to change the data directory to your preferred location, this might be the time to give the GnuCash Guide documentation another read. Particularly section 2.4 *Storing your financial data* <https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/basics-files1.html>.

You will want to open the data file you were using with the previous version of GnuCash, from the new version of GnuCash, from the GnuCash menubar, choosing *File* -> *Open*. Then save the data file to the location you prefer, using *File* -> *Save As*.

TIA
Jim

I hope this helps,
     —Jim DeLaHunt