Hi Scott,

This took some getting used to when I moved from Quicken 7 years or so
ago.  The categories become accounts.  This is required for double entry
accounting and makes sense.  When you pay your electric bill, money moves
from checking to the electric company.  GNUCash has to show money moving
between accounts.  Once I got my head around it it was pretty simple.

Michael