Certainly hitting Enter early is the cause. Before I sent the previous reply, I tried playing with Basic View and the Split button to see how I could manage it and was having difficulty. I guess that is because I already know how to avoid doing so.

After a few more attempts, I'm going to hazard the following guess:

1. Start a new transaction
2. Hit the Split button
3. Avoid taking careful notice that the anchoring split already exists though *without an amount*. 4. Re-assign that split's account to some other account (or simply leave its amount blank)
5. Add more splits for the other Expenses/accounts.
6. Avoid taking notice that a new un-assigned split is auto-created *with a balancing amount*.
7. Hit Enter

The result is the transaction 'disappears' (because it is un-anchored to the register in view) and that final balancing split gets assigned to the Imbalance-xxx account.

I suspect this workflow because in normal Basic View (un-split) you don't need to enter the split anchoring the transaction to the register being viewed, you only enter the 'other' split. A new user might not realize that when using the Split feature, you now need to enter them all explicitly. Though I also suspect this is covered in the Documentation which gets rare attention from new uesers. (I'll have to drag that up to confirm myself.)