James
Be careful if you are upgrading across major version boundaries e.g V2.x to V4.x
directly might cause problems with the data file as there are some changes in
data formats and also in storage location for ancilliary information
(see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations) with the v2->v3 and
V3->V4 transitions that an internal procedure called the first time a new major
version is run usually fixes for that major version jump. A procedure that has
been recommended from an earlier discussion of upgrading as being thee safest
(see
https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2021-January/094773.html#:~:text=If%20you%20follow%20the%20upgrade,repair%20on%20the%20entire%20file.%20%3E)
is

 1) Make a backup of your data file.
> 2) Upgrade to 2.16.21, open your file and perform a check & repair on the
entire file.
> 3) Upgrade to 3.11, open your file and perform a check & repair on the entire
file.
> 4) Upgrade to 4.4, open your file and perform a check & repair on the entire
file.

If your are upgrading within a single major version series, there is generally
no risk at all but it is always wise to make and keep  a backup until you have
successfully completed the upgrade.

What has never been clear to me at least in such discussions is whether the
routines that adjusts details and formats at major version boundaries are
cumulative, i.e. can accommodate the V2.x->V4.x directly and detect which
version was previously in use or absolutely require a jump first to the next
version.
Maybe John Ralls can comment on that.

David Cousens