There's no direct method of transferring balances or payments between AR accounts. (sadly, but GnuCash is not unique in this regard)

Some type of intermediary account would be required. (likely, one that is a sub-account of AR so as not to disrupt the overall AR balance)

While not as 'clean' as a direct method, what do you find is 'clunky'?

What is your exact workflow?

Note, the intermediary account(s) might not touch AR directly unless you need them to. (indeed you might)

Another way to think of such payments is akin to someone purchasing a Gift Card for someone else.

How you'd handle *that* accounting should be similar to one AR account paying on another's behalf.

If strictly necessary, you may find it cleaner and easier (though more clicks) to 'sell' a Gift Certificate type 'line item' on an invoice to a Customer, and then Process Payment for it.

And all of the above with the usual caveat: "I am not an accountant and this is not professional advice."