On 1/3/2023 4:15 PM, Jamie Tolbert wrote:
Starting a new business. For the next month or so, what few bills I have will be paid by me, until I get my business checking set up. Its been years since I studied double entry accounting, but I thought if I paid a bill for lets say 100.00, I would credit my owner account for 100.00 and debit whatever expense account it is. I cant find how to credit my owner account, or opening balance.

You are perhaps confused by "opening balance". This is just a special equity account used by the wizard and only applies if you are creating your new set of books WITH opening balances. Instead of creating your new set of books with all accounts zero and then filling in the correct starting amounts (from your old balance sheet) with opening transactions.

So just imagine that is what you were doing (even if you DID use the wizard.

The point here is that the amount in "starting equity" really should have been in an account (under equity) with a name like "owner's equity", right? So create such an account and then you have an account to credit for these interim additional investments (you are investing more in your business by personally paying some business bills).

NOW your only problem is this extraneous "starting equity" amount which you really should want in "owner's equity". Take a look at that account "starting equity". What is its parent account? (the top level account equity, right?) Will gnucash allow you to change that parent to make starting equity a child of owner's equity instead?

Michael D Novack