The location is actually /Users/yourusername/Library/Mobile
Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs. I tried copying my GnuCash data file there and
opening it from within GnuCash (File>Open) and everything looked OK, though I
think my View preferences on the accounts were not set the same (Double Line,
etc.).

I would be a bit reluctant to use this location for GnuCash data. While I
couldn’t point to anything specifically outlawing it, Apple has set up a system
of granting apps permission to use the iCloud folder (the Privacy & Security
preferences Adrien describes), and the apps that store there via this method
don’t just throw their data files in the “iCloud Folder”; they put them in
subfolders like "com~apple~Keynote/Documents”.

That is all invisible in the Finder, where they appear to be in just a
subfolder (e.g., “Keynote”). The “com~apple~CloudDocs” seems to be where
anything not saved by an iCloud-authorized app goes, including things you just
copy in using Finder. Nothing wrong with it, that I can see, but since the
Open>File dialog in an app like GnuCash doesn’t read all of Apple’s cleverness
in making the folders appear differently than they’re actually stored, it could
be confusing.f

Andrew