Hi Bob/all,

That is an interesting question and I'm disappointed that no one has yet offered a professional bookkeeper that uses GnuCash, even if just for certain, interested clients. While I don't know what state you and your business are located in, I work in the North Bay Area office of a tax & wealth management firm (on the tax side) and while I use Lacerte (Intuit's tax professional software - https://proconnect.intuit.com/lacerte/) every workday, I do not use Quickbooks (Intuit's bookkeeping program - https://quickbooks.intuit.com/), although many other people in our firm do. I am pretty new to the accounting field, so the vast majority of my work is on relatively simple individual/1040 US tax returns and a few relatively simple fiduciary/1041 tax returns. While I do work on the occasional out of state or multi state tax returns, the vast majority of my work are California tax returns. I rarely touch partnership (1065) tax returns and have yet to work on C/S corp tax returns (1120, 1120S), although I have worked on 1040 tax returns that had K1s from 1065/partnerships & 1041/fiduciary tax returns. I say all of that because I am not the right person to help you out.

I did find this section on the GnuCash Wiki, but it seems very old, it only lists 2 professionals, and I'm not sure if they still offer those GnuCash bookkeeping services - https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Is_there_a_CPA_.28Certified_Public_Accountant.29_who_uses_GnuCash_in_my_area.3F

As much as I dislike Intuit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intuit) for a seemingly never ending supply of reasons, since we are having this conversation on an open source software mailing list, I will point out that Intuit is the largest software company (https://www.google.com/finance/quote/INTU:NASDAQ?window=1Y) that I know of that does not contribute at all to open source projects, Intuit is not even listed among the 275 top contributors here - https://opensourceindex.io/

At the same time, there are no open source software options for tax professionals in the USA to prepare & file federal tax returns. While Open Tax Solver (https://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/) exists for individuals, due to how the IRS authorizes electronic filing providers (https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/efile-for-tax-professionals) OTS does not allow for e-filing. One must print out the tax forms after using the OTS program and mail them in.

From https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/e-help-desk-for-tax-professionals - "e-file Requirement for Tax Return Preparers: The law requires tax return preparers and firms who reasonably expect to file 11 or more covered returns in calendar year 2013 and thereafter, to e-file the returns they prepare and file. For 2013, covered returns are Forms 1040, 1040-A, 1040-EZ, and 1041. If this requirement will cause an undue hardship, apply for a waiver by completing Form 8944, Preparer e-file Hardship Waiver Request. For more information, go to IRS.gov, keyword ‘e-file requirement’."

That's enough details to highlight my point of the 'competitive moat' that exists for commercial financial/accounting software firms and how there are significant barriers to competition from open source alternatives in the US. And while bookkeeping software is far less complicated and far more commonly used than the professional tax software specific to US federal and state tax rules, it is very difficult to find any professional bookkeepers that are even familiar with tools like GnuCash, much less use them exclusively. If there are any other accounting professionals that are interested in changing this, by all means consider me an ally. But for now, I work for the firm that I do because I have bills to pay.

If even just 1 bookkeeping firm in the entire USA could handle remote clients like Bob using GnuCash exclusively, that to me would be a game changer for this software and the open source accounting community. That firm would likely have to hire an IT contractor, that IT contractor would then be called on to solve issues for both the firm and the software that the firm uses, and that is when major improvements start to happen. When skilled people are able to get paid to spend significant amounts of time on open source software that has both personal/individual and professional/business applications/uses is when improvements snowball and adoption grows.

Apologies for the preaching - good luck Bob,

Brad