Thanks Rich.
I thought of something like that, but I can't see how it works when I pay a
bill, for example.
e.g. The money for the new widget comes out of the widget asset account,
and the bank account isn't debited, so GnuCash doesn't have a record that
matches the bank statement any more.  That was the thinking that led me to
wonder about the extra asset accounts being under the main bank account.

Does that make sense?
Cheers
Mort