Being a victim (financial institutions and gov't agencies do not agree with
this in the US as they believe that you and I are just a innocent third party
and largely they are the ones who have been defrauded) of larger theft after a
breach they were able to garner close to six figure fraud in matter of days I
whole heartly agree that should check your transactions frequently as
possible. While most will make you whole eventually, it nonetheless is an
anticipated time-consuming undertaking when you get engulfed in it.

In the US I highly recommend that you look into placing security freeze on
your credit files and at ChexSystems at minimum, which now is free for
everyone unlike in the past where you were charged fee for it.

Those that want to perpetrate fraud have gotten better by surveilling accounts
by putting what appears to be a small (in pennies sometimes) "trial" purchases
over time to see if they can be caught before making a leap. While financial
institutions have very intelligent surveillance systems in place to catch such
activities, you are really the best defense for your account.