John, are you referring to the "double mode colors alternate with
transactions" option under Edit-Preferences-Register?
If so then it works fine on my version 5.0 compiled on Lubuntu 22.04. For
me, there is a "Close" button on the dialog at the bottom right that saves
the changes, same as in version 4.13. See attached screenshot.
Sincerely,
Vincent Dawans