I agree, the button could be more precise in its label.

The tool tip in the status bar on hovering that button says, "close the currently active page".

The functionality of that button and the entire toolbar (the UI really) is also covered in the Manual.

I'd say this is a, "read the manual" sort of problem and GnuCash is working as intended.