On 2023-04-11 15:50, Jay Bouxsein wrote:

> I am running version 2.6.7.

Wow! That's older even than my version, 2.6.19.

> I have worked with my accountant to use GnuCash to assist him in
> preparing end of year tax returns and he has suggested that I open
> new books at the beginning of each new year.
I don't know why your accountant recommended that, as it's extra work.
One alternative would be simply to make a copy of the file at year-end
and archive that copy. But that's not what you were asking about, so ...

> Basically I want to create a new GnuCash file for tax year 2023 and
> export into it the Chart of Accounts used by my 2022 GnuCash file.
> Not the data, just the Chart of Accounts.
1. In the old file, create a balance sheet report. You'll need it in
step 5, so print it or export it to HTML or something.

3. Click File » New File. You should see all tabs except Accounts
disappear, and that one will be empty.

5. Enter a transaction to make all the starting balances in the new file
match the ending balances from the old file, referring to the report you
saved in step 1.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com