I understand that accounts of Expense and Income are special cases of Equity accounts. But that too is an accounting question, not a GnuCash question.

I hope this helps,
    —Jim DeLaHunt

On 2023-05-07 23:37, Karl May wrote:
Hi,

I am wondering where to put the tax on corporate profit.

My understanding from accounting training is:

1) As long as not paid it would swap between Equity and Liability, i.e. the
equity shrinks by the tax amount and the liabilities increase by the tax
amount.

2) At pay date it would be an asset-liability decrease, i.e. financial assets
and liabilities shrink by the tax amount.

Now ......... I understand that gnucash has no separate Equity account, at
least as long as the books are not closed. So how to book step 1)?

Thanks and best regards

Karl