Wait until version 5.2 before doing anything. It will most likely have a
different way of sorting descriptions, with recent ones floating to the
top. Hence old misspelled descriptions will be less likely to be found near
the top of the list and easier to ignore. More recent misspellings are easy
to fix in the register. See https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/pull/1625
for the work in progress.