Bob,

Did you install GnuCash using Flatpak or via a deb file?
Also are you certain that you're executing "python3" and not "python",
which may execute python2.

This is what I see on Ubuntu 22.
>apt list --installed '*gnucash*'
Listing... Done
gnucash-common/jammy,now 1:4.8-1build2 all [installed]
gnucash-docs/jammy,now 4.8-1 all [installed,automatic]
gnucash/jammy,now 1:4.8-1build2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python3-gnucash/jammy,now 1:4.8-1build2 amd64 [installed]

>python3
Python 3.10.6 (main, Mar 10 2023, 10:55:28) [GCC 11.3.0] on linux
>>> import gnucash

Note that I also have GnuCash installed via Flatpak and that's the GUI
that I use. I need to figure out how to update my environment to
execute python scripts against the flatpak as I expect that eventually
the 4.8 libraries won't be able to read the 5.X files.

Jon