I would say, in addition, make sure that neither your source account nor your destination account is marked as "hidden" or "placeholder." Or, if it is, use the little configuration icon (for me it is a wrench and a screwdriver crossed) to show hidden and placeholder accounts.

Accounts should be the same type, as David says.
I was not able to delete-merge a type "asset" account into a type "bank" account until I changed the "asset" account into a "bank" account.

On 2023-06-18 02:48 PM, David Carlson wrote:
Check the account types of the accounts that you want to merge.  There are
some limitations on account types that will merge.  In release 3.8, IIR, it
is possible to merge liabilities with assets or expense with income, but
not securities with much of anything else.  Perhaps others have additional
suggestions.