I tend to create these as Asset type accounts (I loan value to my buddy so
this is Accounts Receivable or something for which I am to be reimbursed).
That way a negative amount means I owe my buddy.

It could also be a Liability account in that I borrowed from my buddy and
it is an Account Payable.  If it is negative then he owes me money.

Pick one way of looking at it.