No. Reverse/delete that mess.

Are you using the 'Process Payment' feature?

Step 1. Click Process Payment, choose the vendor, select Invoice B, enter the total payment amount, select the source account, set the date and a note if any, then commit the payment. This will pay off Invoice B entirely and leave an over payment not attached to anything. (the excess is *not* applied to Invoice B so you can't issue a credit against it. The excess is simply 'extra'.)

Step 2. Click Process Payment again, choose the vendor, but this time, select the over-payment and Invoice A in the list. Set the date as appropriate - do not change the amount or anything else. Commit the payment

Now your single payment has been applied to both invoices.