On Sun, Aug 06, 2023 at 10:58:55AM -0500, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> On 8/6/23 6:28 AM, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > At least someone agrees with me! :-)
> >
> > I've been muttering about this, on and off, for quite a while!  There
> > should be a way to move the clutter of logs and backup files out of
> > the way, away from where the main GnuCash xml or database file is.
> > (By 'move' I mean a configuration option that allows one to keep them
> > out of the way, I know files can be moved 'by hand')
> >

> I can see the benefit to having logs and backup files together with the
> data, but I'd prefer if they were in their own sub-directories
> automatically.

Yes, exactly! :-)

I use GnuCash as treasurer of a PCC (Parochial Church Council).  I
have a sub-directory on my system called (very originally!) pcc and
that has a further sub-directory for each year. So, in the ~/pcc/2023
directory I have the GnuCash database file, and various other items
like correspondence, the odd PDF file from the diocese and so on.
Having all the GnuCash log files and such cluttering up the directory
is a nuisance.

--
Chris Green