I wish to support the 'search throughout' method.  I admit that it took me
several seconds to get used to it but it reduces the size of the short list
of partial matches very quickly until I can pick the winner very easily.
Since I am now expecting it I don't have to type several introductory
characters before typing the real meaty characters of my search.

On Mon, Aug 14, 2023 at 2:53 PM Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <
stan...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I know there's been a lot of controversy about auto-completion in GC
> 5.x. I'm waiting for 5.4 to finish my upgrade, but have been using 4.14
> for a week or so now. One thing I just noticed is that, on the accounts
> tab, when I type the first few letters of an account name it now matches
> the first account name that _contains_ those letters, not necessarily at
> the beginning as in GC 2.x.
>
> Personally, I prefer matches to be done only at the start of account
> names, not in the middle. But I'm sure here are others who prefer them
> in the middle (which re4ally means matching anywhere).
>
> I wonder if it could make sense to have an option for matching account
> names at the beginning or anywhere, and a similar option the same for
> matching to descriptions when auto-filling transactions. That would
> please the maximum number of people, if it's not too difficult to
> implement.
>
> --
> Stan Brown
> Tehachapi, CA, USA