Greg,

Glad to hear you are liking 5.3! I originally played with 2.4.x way back in the day, but never became a serious user until the midst of 2.6. The app has improved significantly since then, with several very 'productivity oriented' improvements. I look forward to the continued progress. I know the dev team is tiny, but quite dedicated, and all of them are insanely patient, understanding, courteous, and helpful to the rest of us mere mortals.

-----

Now, on to the errant installation:

I'm on a Mac, so I can't test this, but does Win10 have the ability to 'tab' separate windows as a function of the OS? (Mac does)

If this is the case, by 'tabs' do you mean "within the gnucash interface" or do you mean "within the Windows OS"?

The first case is separate tabs like in a web browser or spreadsheet.

The second case is roughly similar, but the UI is a bit different and each 'tab' is really a separate window of the app. (the window title bar appears tabbed, or else a separate tab bar above/below it, but clearly different from what GnuCash provides out of the box otherwise)

Of note, check "Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults > Register opens in new window", and make sure it is *not* checked. (meaning you get 'GnuCash' tabs within the app - not separate windows, tabbed together or not)

And if Win10 doesn't have this ability, consider having him play with checking that preference as a workaround. (he'll have to manage separate windows, but the ability to open more than 4 might be worth it, and managing them with the keyboard, mouse, or the Windows menu which shows a list of open windows of the app)

There is also "Preferences > Reports > Location > Report opens in a new window", which will spawn a window instead of a tab for reports, which can help further testing.

My next question would be, "Does the limitation of 5 total tabs also include reports, a mix of reports and accounts, or just accounts?"

And then my only other question would be, "What is his screen resolution?"

My recommendation regardless of that answer (it is just for my curiosity, as I know some really small screens might have issues - there is a really reasonable design minimum, 800px I think) is to please file a bug with all of the relevant details, especially anything that is unique to that laptop that isn't working properly.

*Also Note - he shouldn't have to shorten account names. The built-in solution should be to substitute ellipses for longer names past the charcter preference limit. If that is not happening - definitely file a bug.

*Last Gasp — does he by chance have a custom UI stylesheet on that machine? There are ways to directly alter UI elements via CSS, at least as of 2.6. I'm not sure if that was possible in 2.4. But if so, an old display rule might be at play causing havoc. See the Wiki about GTK customizations: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Customizing_the_Appearance