Hello Tom
   It's fairly straightforward, if I understand you correctly.
   There are several ways to achieve this but possibly the easiest is to
   choose the Income Statement (MultiColumn) report, then in the report
   Options go to the Accounts tab and select Clear All then scroll though
   you accounts list and Highlight/Select the Expenses Account (this is
   usually a Placeholder), then Select Children (this will select all the
   Expenses sub-accounts), then go to the General tab, for Period Duration
   select Half Year (or one of the periods in the drop down), then Select
   your start and end dates, Apply and you should see something like what
   you are after.  You can clean it up through Options, Display, uncheck
   "Include accounts with zero total balances".
   Have a play and discover how things work - once you have the report as
   you want you can save it using "Save Config As" eg "6 monthly expense
   comparison" or whatever.
   The important thing is to have a play with the Options so that you
   learn, rather than being told, how to do it.
   Enjoy GnuCash - I love it!  Big thanks to the developers and
   maintainers!!
   Cheers
   Hop