Indeed. Thanks for the backup advice.

My mix of problems was different and an interesting object lesson.

It started with an SSD seeming to fail, and I ordered a new one, but before
it arrived, magically the old one started up again, and I carelessly
assumed that my backup was working, so when it failed permanently, I would
pop in the new SSD and restore from backup.

So when the day came, and I put in the new SSD, I was not able to reinstall
the operating system (Linux Mint), and it took me a while to figure out
with help of usergroup feedback to identify that I probably needed a Mobo
bios upgrade. ASUS promptly gave me the wrong instructions, and I bricked
my mobo. I am in an RMA process with them now (no, don't ask how well that
is doing), and by that time, I ordered a new computer, for I was working
with a meagre Surface tablet as a backup, which was tiresome, and there was
no end in sight.

When the new system arrived, I quickly found out there were holes in my
backups (I had two going), in part because of configuration errors, but in
part also for as yet unexplained mysteries. In any case, by this time it
was necessary to send in my old SSD for data recovery, which worked, but it
was a painful exercise all by itself. It took them 6 weeks for unclear
reasons, but eventually I was able to restore everything. Now I am working
on a new, and hopefully more robust backup strategy, while also doing a
synching exercise, so I can work remorely.