I am facing the same problem.  My solution is to leverage the Import Invoices/Bills function in GC (using version 5.3 now) and transfer the invoices and bills in CSV to GC.  It may require some manual steps, but it should be easy to create a python script to generate your invoices and bills in CSV automatically.

GC's Python binding is nowhere documented except looking at the source code on github, as far as I knew.  The bindings are not too complicated to comprehend, but you still need invest sometime to dig through and try them out.  Not really an option for average users. Hope this helps.

Cheers!  -- JC