I could be misunderstanding the desired goal.

Do you want the interest portion to be calculated on the immediate deposit or on the entire account balance?

If the immediate deposit, you would simply add a split for the interest and indicate the amount. (since it is fixed, the rate is irrelevant as the math always produces the same result, thus no formula is needed.)

If on the account balance at the time, you can prompt yourself for that as a variable and let GnuCash do the math.

The interest split would in this case have a formula instead of a fixed amount but where the current balance would appear you simply use a word say 'balance' and gnucash will treat that as a variable. When the transaction fires, GnuCash will prompt you to enter the balance amount to be used in the formula.

Create a copy of your file and do a test transaction as practice if it helps.

-----
Note, the example you cite of adding code to a Scheme file is a much more advanced approach and it appears to be for a more complicated situation than you are describing.
-----
The first transaction in just about any Asset or Liability account will be to Equity:Opening Balances. This is fairly standard accounting practice.

In double-entry, money does not appear or disappear. It moves from one account to another. With respect to Opening Balance, you think of it as a reason or explanation more than a source or destination account if that helps.