Back when I paid it, I just made a payment out of my bank checking account straight to the CC company. Now, how do I assign that transaction? It’s not a CC expense but it is an expense of some kind—just from a different place. My CC statement will go into my Liability Account, right? So does my payment to the CC company come out of Assets and into Liability? And, if so, how do I assign it on the CC Account transaction line?
Thanks All,
Edwin

No, it is NOT an expense of any kind.  The expenses were when you used your credit card to buy things or pay for services. Forget that nothing left your pocket. You incurred a debt at THOSE moments. Not when you get around to making a payment on your credit card bill.

When you do make a payment, you debit the CC balance by that amount and credit the bank account the check was written against. It's not an expense, even though money left your bank account but a transfer (reduced your debt). In other words, the transaction had no effect on your net worth*..

Michael D Novack

* This is another case where "history" might (or might not) make it clearer. If we go back many centuries, there were no accounts of type income of expense. The transactions (representing income of expense) were immediately written against equity. In other words, they immediately affected equity wile a transaction paying against a debt would not affect equity.

   But it was hard to report on total income or expenses for a time period, had to search for those transactions. Many hundreds of years ago somebody got the clever idea of having TEMPORARY accounts of type "income" and "expense" --- they are fundamental type equity but until closed into equity provided information about income and expense since the last time they were closed. That closing process produced things like the P&L report.

   With software like gnucash, most of us never close the books as gnucash can produce the reports "pretend we did" (as if closed at the start of the time period and closed again at the end)

Michael D Novack