I treat it like another asset account.  The monthly escrow amount goes in and when the escrow pays out it comes out as an expense.

So your monthly payment out of your checking account ends up in three places:
1.  Interest Expense.
2.  Liability reduction (the mortgage).
3.  Escrow asset account.

Then when you get the statements you can reconcile/verify the Interest Expense (YTD), the Mortgage balance, and the escrow balance with any related transactions.