    Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults > Double line view

4. Find a basic accounting text online, or buy one for reference
    https://www.principlesofaccounting.com/

5. Record transactions in the account where the money comes 'from'.

6. Record transactions as soon as you can after they occur.

7. Record as much information as you can using Description, Notes (only visible in Double Line Mode) and Memo fields.

8. Don't combine receipts with multiple line-items into a single split.

#1–3 will be useful for facilitating your learning from the #4 text references. Those options will also allow you to see all-at-once, all of a transaction's info/data as close as you can get to a spreadsheet or text file. (with a caveat for the special Business Features, though there are ways to see most/all of that too, just not in one place)

#5 will help you keep straight the idea that money always flows *from* one (or more) accounts *to* one (or more) other accounts. It never appears or vanishes from/to thin air.

Alternatively, if you don't want to be restricted in the visible accounts, enter transactions using Tools > General Journal, but do note that it is limited by default to only 30 days (changeable, but you have to do so each run) and using it can certainly lead to some confusion if you are still learning the 'flow' of money.

#6 is important to prevent a pile-up of data to enter, and makes the task less daunting. I try to enter transactions daily if possible. Frequent entry also facilitates #7, because info about the transaction is freshest in your mind.

#7 is important for general documentation reasons, and is always good habit, but this is especially true when learning accounting and GnuCash as you will invariably adjust your Chart of Accounts over time and will very likely desire to re-assign entire transactions, or even just one or two splits of a transaction to a different account. With the info at hand, you can make a better decision in those cases. I use the Description for the Payee/Payor (who the money goes to, or comes from), the Notes field for general transaction info, and the Memo fields for anything specific to that split line.

#8 is also important for the same reasons. If you combine line items now, and later decide to separate them, if you don't have the individual amounts and a good Memo description, you can't. Autofill works wonders in GnuCash. Yes, initially you will be doing lots of typing, but this will drastically fall off over time.

-----

As others noted, the default data store is XML. Stick with that for now. (GnuCash only uses db backends as a data store that is read entirely into memory like with XML, it is not a real database application, yet.)

-----

Concerning 'immutability' there is no such thing if you have sufficient access and knowledge to manipulate files. You impose your own rules on yourself in this regard. (unless you have an outside 'controller' individual that you have to verify and report to)

In the old days, one of these controls was to use ink, not pencil to record transactions. This necessitated correcting entries, rather than editing. Original errors are preserved and then later corrected and explained. You can still work this way if you like, but you also have the flexibility to just edit the original transaction too. Since my books are for me and no one else, I just edit in place. But if I did have to report to someone else, I'd use correcting entries.