The Transaction Report can group by period with subtotals and totals. That is a listing of each transaction though. You can likely reduce detail, but there should be a summary table you can turn on which might get you close.

Also take a look at the Budget Report multi-period feature. If you don't want the actual budget features, you can still use the report to show actual expenses. This report presents a column for each period by account. You also get a YTD total column if you want it, and can collapse previous/future periods from the one you want to focus on.