Somebody commented out all of the DEBUG logging statements in
import-backend.cpp so you'd need to uncomment them then build GnuCash yourself,
after which you'd run it from the command line with --log gnc.import=debug to
get the messages added to the tracefile. Dunno how enlightening that would be.
FWIW the matching function starts at
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/bf460b0040f8c9837cca198a9daba83a91c6c35b/gnucash/import-export/import-backend.cpp#L560.

There is one other option besides importing the transaction as a new one: Don't
import it at all by unchecking all three checkboxes in the match window.

Regards,
John Ralls