I just do it simply by taking the amount in the foreign currency and the
TOTAL amount that affects my bank, and roll any fees into the exchange
rate.  So in your case, a simple transaction of 10,000 JPY to 4282.49 PHP.

Unless there is really some required reason to keep track of the fees?

-derek

On Sun, January 14, 2024 11:04 am, Gio Bacareza wrote:
> when withdrawing at a foreign location, most of the time you get charged a
> fee. So, for example, your bank is in PHP, then when you're in Japan, you
> withdraw in JPY.
>
> Here are the facts:
> 1. You receive JPY10,000.00
> 2. ATM charges JPY110.00
> 3. Your local bank shows a withdrawal of PHP4282.49
> 4. At the time of this transaction the exchange rate was: JPY1 = PHP0.3928
> or PHP1 = JPY2.5456
>
> in GNUCASH, the splits I have are:
>
> Account Deposit Withdrawal
> JPYCash JPY10000 0
> Fee PHP PHP43.21 0
> Imbalance PHP PHP311.28 0
> Trading:CURRENCY:PHP PHP3928 0
> Local Bank PHP 0 PHP4282.49
> Trading:CURRENCY:JPY 0 JPY10000
>

> Questions:
> 1. What is the easiest way to do this? I find this one transaction to be
> of
> so many steps. Perhaps there's a way that I don't know of?
> 2. Is there an easier way to specify the 110JPY fee if my base currency is
> PHP? I had to manually convert it using the date's exchange rate to come
> up
> with the equivalent PHP43.21.
> 3. The imbalance-PHP was automatically calculated by GNUCASH. Is this
> considered to be my loss from the difference between the bank's exchange
> rates and the one I used which I got from
> https://www.exchange-rates.org/exchange-rate-history/jpy-php?
>
> Thanks
>
> gio

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       de...@ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com