Let me ask you a question (that should make it obvious what one* of your problems is --- and yes, this has been discussed before)

HOW did you record this deferred income when it was received? Or since it might have been received before you began using gnucash, how did you enter the accumulated deferred income when you started with gnucash? Forget for just a moment that the term "deferred income" in it << you might not be using an account of type "income" to track it --- types income and expense are temporary accounts of fundamental type equity and would be zeroed out IF you did an actual "close the books" -- you presumably want this amount in a standing account, one that persists through a "close the books"

Hint --- suppose I were starting to use gnucash and I had an IRA balance of $500,000 and all of that is "deferred income" (not taxed yet, so will be when withdrawals taken). HOW did I record that starting balance? NOT by using the "starting balance tool". I would have an account under equity with a name like ":deferred income" and I would enter a transaction debit   Assets:Investments"IRA and credit Equity:Deferred Income << in other words, it IS part of my equity, just kept separate >>

Now we are taking a distribution (your transaction)  You would have the first two lines right but that would be a CREDIT to Income:Taxable:IRA distributions and a DEBIT to Equity:Deferred Income        And no, you are NOT decreasing your total equity (because an account of type income is a temporary account of fundamental type equity --- so no net change to equity)

Michael D Novack

PS: IF you never kept the accumulated deferred income as a separate part of equity don't try to go back and fix that. Just use equity itself for the second debit.

* The other is that you don't seem to understand the "sense" of an account of type "income". That's where your wrong sign comes from