I'm not part of the team, but I am a software engineer, and I've done
conversion to 64-bits. In the best case, it's just a matter of
re-compiling... but that's never worked except for very small programs.
All of the libraries used must have 64-bit versions, and then each call to
the library needs to be checked to verify that call is passing the properly
sized parameters. If there are internal (GnuCash-defined) structures -- and
there almost certainly are -- they all need to be checked to verify that
they aren't going to run into alignment problems. The whole process is
quite a labor-intensive.