The OP referenced an adjustment for inflation, so it seems like simply upping various amounts.

Hence my suggestion to leave the template with the current amounts, and add a variable multiplier which will be prompted by GnuCash.

But that suggestion didn't take into account creating transactions in advance, and only contemplated creating them when they would naturally occur. (you won't know the inflation multiplier in advance)

-----

While I don't create transactions far in advance, I like your idea of noting an effective date. I have one transaction that changes every 6 months, so this will help me see the iteration a of particular transaction.

-----
The export/import idea is likely the best way to handle more than a handful of transactions that need updating.