Hello All,

First, I want to thank the GnuCash community and especially the GnuCash developers for producing such an excellent product for the open source software community. While there was a bit of a learning curve, I'm finding GnuCash more than suitable as a replacement for the Quicken software which I used several years ago. Thank you!

With that said, there are a couple of issues which have been an ongoing minor annoyance I'd like to see resolved, especially in the processing of outstanding checks. While I use the bill pay service of my bank extensively, if an account is not registered with the ACH payment system they will mail a paper check. And, sometimes it is more convenient for me to do so as well.

The problem arises when it comes time to process these outstanding checks. I download an .ofx (formerly a .qfx...still having problems since after the switchover I've had to manually go through and change all the old .qfx transactions from "New" to "Do not process") file from my bank on a daily basis, but some of my payees hold their checks for a very long time before depositing. And, after an arbitrary amount of time has passed, GnuCash simply won't recognize it. I just had a $200 check for custom artwork clear which was written in early January; when I tried to match it manually to the ledger entry it would not show up. Yes, I can manually mark it as 'cleared,' but still every time that I download transactions that $200 shows up as a new transaction and I have to manually select it for "Do not process". I'm going to have to keep doing that until it finally ages off of my bank's register, two or three months from now.

This really becomes an issue when a check amount is repeated. I have a couple of charitable contributions which I make on a monthly basis for $20. Well, if one of those charities holds the check for a few weeks, GnuCash tries to process it for the next one which has yet to be issued. I have one check which was issued on December 28th which was not cashed until early February; I saw it and attempted to match it manually. Not possible; it wouldn't even show up under the 'possible matching transactions.' One download I forgot about it and it was mistakenly applied to a more recently written $20 check which had yet to clear; when I tried to back that out the correct check couldn't be matched to its ledger entry when it finally did clear a few days later. Now I have another $20 land mine that I have to tiptoe around until it finally ages off of my bank's records.

Is it possible to extend the time for outstanding checks to show up in the "manual match" window? My understanding of banking regulations in the U.S. is that checks can be presented for payment any time up to six months after the date they carry, and I've had checks show up years later (from a former tenant who spun a story that his deposit check was 'lost', received a new check from me, and then cashed the first check after the six months stop-payment window expired...long story). As far as I can see, any uncleared transactions with a similar amount should show up as possibilities for manual matching. And, once a transaction has been manually cleared, it ought to be possible (as in the case of my $20 checks) to manually match the downloaded entry to the manually cleared entry to stop the item from showing up in each new download.

Is this request clear enough? Or do I need to add any supplemental information? I'm using recently updated versions of GnuCash on Ubuntu Studio 22.04LTS and on Windows 10. Thanks to the community for any assistance or related support.

----Eric.