Hello, Tim:

On 2024-03-03 15:39, Tim via gnucash-user wrote:
The descriptions that I enter in GNU cash for split items get truncated. Is
there a way to change this or is this a hard limit?

I am not certain, having not looked at the GnuCash code, but in my years using the program I have not come across a way to extend the length limit of the description, memo, or notes fields. I suspect it is not changeable.

To provide some context, I pay a handyman….
I like to enter a fairly long description which includes things
like the date the work was done, the location, and a brief description of
what was done but GNU cash truncates it….

I think it would be reasonable to respond with, GnuCash is an accounting program, and you are trying to use it for project tracking. It is reasonable for GnuCash to not attempt to be a project tracking program also.

I suggest a workaround: write in separate log document your detailed description, with date, location, and description of work. Make a concise tag or label for each entry in the log.  Put that tag or label in the GnuCash transaction record.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt