I just start my description "2023 Q1 fed estimate" or similar in my tax payable account. If you do that, you can use a filter for reports.

Also, since I use a liability account, I can reconcile it after filing. Then you can filter the account itself for unreconciled transactions, which will then just show 2024 estimates.

On 2024-03-08 04:54 PM, David G. Pickett via gnucash-user wrote:
I recently created ExpenseAccounts/Taxes/FederalEven and
ExpenseAccounts/Taxes/FederalOdd to allow me to get a meaningful report on
estimated tax and various tax withholding.  The payments in Jan 2024 for 2023
estimated and later for 2-23 tax due do not clutter the reports on 2024 tax
year, and the 2022 items do not get into the 2023 report.  Is there a better
way to deal with this?