GnuCash is supposed to warn you when editing a reconciled transaction that would change the flag.

If not, perhaps you turned that message off.

Check Actions > Reset Warnings and look for something like "change contents of reconciled split". If it is there, select it and Apply to reset the warning to show up next time. (and next time, don't click the box to never warn you again)

If it is not there, and you can intentionally repeat an edit without getting the warning and see the transaction un-reconcile, then you found a bug. Please report it.