Op woensdag 12 juni 2024 16:02:05 CEST schreef Stan Brown (using GC 4.14):
> Geert, I can confirm it works that way in 4.14. It doesn't seem like a
> bug to me, because a warning message (attached) appears before closing
> the original GnuCash window.

The warning message is not really about the Account hierarchy page, but about
the
window-about-to-be-closed in general. Depending on how you use windows and tabs
in
gnucash, the window you close can have the account hierarchy tab together with
several
other tabs, so it may not always be obvious you are closing the account
hierarchy.

> I can indeed reopen the Accounts tab through the View menu, but it opens
> with only the five root-level accounts. I have to click the triangle
> next to each one, and continue going down to expand all the levels of
> accounts. (Because I'm not very accurate with a mouse, this process is
> pretty tedious. However, this time I had saved my .gcm file and just
> copied the saved one over the new one in the "books" folder.) There's
> not any way to do one click or one menu command and expand right down
> through the lowest level, is there?

I haven't found such an option either. Though that would be a nice gui
improvement IMO.

> Also, it sounds like a design decision that the Accounts tab is not
> supposed to be closable. Out of curiosity, what was the reason?

I don't know really. That behaviour was there already before I joined the
project.

> I only
> use the Accounts tab maybe once in every ten times I run GC, and would
> prefer not to have it open automatically -- as long as when it does
> open, its configuration is the same and I don't have to re-expand all
> account levels, set up columns again, and so forth. If memory serves,
> 2.6.19 _did_ preserve the configuration.

I don't remember. But I agree that would be the right thing to do for gnucash.

Regards,

Geert