David, if we are both using 5.6 in Windows but have different behaviours, then
I expect either our settings or our procedures are different.
1. Are you using auto-split as a register default?
2. My issue appears when I edit only a previously saved transaction. In
auto-split, one must do this it two steps, the debit side, and then the credit
side.

Update:
Procedure to create a zero imbalance:
- (in auto-split) edit the first (debit) amount, press ENTER: Imbalance split
is created (NB: the account field in the split actually says "Imbalance").
- edit second (credit) amount, Press ENTER. Imbalance changes to 0.
- Press ENTER again, cursor moves to next transaction.

Procedure to NOT create a zero imbalance:
- exactly as above only use down arrow (or left mouse click) to navigate
between lines.

Note that in this second case, there is an imbalance amount line created but it
created in bottom line of the group *without* "Imbalance" in the account field.

Paul