Thanks to all for advice on this.

Ultimately, it did turn out to be a currency issue. When I started using
gnucash (way back in version 2), I never specified or worried about
currency, because everything I did was in Canadian dollars, and all the
reports worked as anticipated. Somewhere along the line, there must have
been a change involving how currency was used to generate reports (or maybe
I specified something as Canadian dollars that I should have left alone).

In any case, once I ensured that all my accounts were set to Canadian
dollars, and the currency of choice on the commodities tab of the report
options was set to Canadian dollars, all the reports started to work again
as I had hoped.

However, for a while I was going into the options/commodities every time I
ran a report to switch the currency to CAD. Under the
Edit/Preferences/Accounts tab, I had default currency set to 'choose' and
'CAD (Canadian dollar')', but it took me a while to realize that I also had
to do this under Edit/Preferences/Reports as well.

Ken

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024 at 12:07 PM William Prescott <w...@theprescotts.com>
wrote:

> Thanks. I have been following this question out of curiosity. I have
> multiple currencies in my accounts (USD, EUR, MXN) but I almost never use
> the reporting functions, so I hadn't investigated the issues raised by the
> original question.
>

> Best wishes,
> Will Prescott
>
> On 29 Jun 2024, at 8:04, Fred Bone <f...@mandfb.me.uk> wrote:
>
> On 28 June 2024 at 16:34, Ken McEvoy said:
>
> > I am the treasurer of a small nonprofit, and I have no
> > accounting background, and a I'm also a beginner with gnucash ...
> >
> > We have a very simple set of accounts; single currency, only a few income
> > and expense categories.
> >
> > When I run a balance sheet report, the subtotals show accurate amounts,
> > but the totals for Assets, Liabilities and Equity are all zero.
> >
> > Can you help me understand what I might have done, or why the major
> totals
> > are all zero?
>
> It looks as though your assets are in one currency (C$) and the book in
> another ($) with no conversion rate provided.

*Joy shared is doubled. Pain shared is halved.* - Spider Robinson