Since GnuCash loads the entire file into memory (regardless of whether or not a
DBMS is in use) it appears the duration of the splash screen display is related
to that load time (note that a progress bar appears in the lower RH corner.)

-----Original Message-----
From: gnucash-user <gnucash-user-bounces+john.layman=ieee....@gnucash.org> On
Behalf Of R Losey
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2024 12:56 PM
To: Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <stan...@fastmail.fm>
Cc: gnucash-user@gnucash.org
Subject: Re: [GNC] Splash Screen disabled?

On Sat, Jul 27, 2024 at 9:34 AM Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) <
stan...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> > On 7/26/2024 7:24 PM, Stan Brown (using GC 4.14) wrote:
> >> I have 4.14 in Windows 10 and 11. The splash screen appears, the
> >> progress bar for opening the last previously used file fills in
> >> from left to right, and when that's done the splash screen
> >> disappears. The whole thing takes about two seconds. I suspect that
> >> different times of seeing the splash screen are not due to
> >> different minor versions of GC, but rather to running on machines
> >> of different compute speed, possessing SSDs or traditional hard drives,
> >> and so forth.
> >>
> On 2024-07-27 05:37, Michael or Penny Novack via gnucash-user wrote:
> > We just had a different instance of this problem (window appearance
> > too > brief to see)
>
> I was not reporting a problem, but responding to David Carlson's
> report reported that the splash screen for GHC 4.8 persisted for a
> minute (!) on his machine.
>
> > This is why ALL such displays should at the end incorporate a delay
> > before closing, one or two seconds, independent of computer speed
> > (don't waste time in useless processing; use a system call to "sleep
> > for X
> time).
>
> I don't agree. If the message, window, or whatever is worth seeing, it
> should persist until the user dismisses it. A fixed display time is
> going to annoy some (who just want to get on with their work) but its
> information will be lost to others (who take their eyes off the screen
> to pull papers from a file or pour a cup of coffee).
>
> And of course if it's not worth seeing, it shouldn't be displayed for
> any amount of time, but rather written to the log file o perhaps the
> trace file.

I don't agree; the purpose of a splash screen is to give immediate feedback
that the selected program is starting, but not ready to be used.

I have worked with programs that don't give any feedback for a (relatively)
long time, and I'm never certain if I mis-clicked or if the program died.

As a software engineer, some of our programs had human interaction
requirements; one (rather old) was that any action taken by an operator had to
provide some kind of feedback to the operator within three seconds...
for example, if the operator attempted to sort a large list, we had to put up a
message or popup or something to indicate "Sorting (please wait)...".

A good splash screen should:
(1) show up immediately (as soon as possible) after the user starts the program
(2) Persist until the program is ready to interact with the user, and then go
away.

Exceptional programs have an option to display or not display a splash screen.

And just to give another data point, my Win 10 box is the slowest; the splash
screen is up for about 5-6 seconds. On my M1 iMac (using the Intel version),
it's up for about 2-3 seconds. My Linux version doesn't get run as often, but I
think it is up for about 2-3 seconds as well.