On 04 September 2024 at 13:19, rsbrux said:

> We have monthly transactions where a payment in USD is credited to a CHF
> bank account. The USD amount is fixed, but the CHF amount varies depending
> on the conversion rate. As has been recommended on this list, I have
> configured these as scheduled transactions with a variable in place of the
> CHF amount .  However, when the scheduled transaction triggers in
> GnuCash, I am asked to fill in both the CHF amount *and* the USD -> CHF
> conversion rate. Unfortunately the bank notification does not include the
> conversion rate.  In fact the bank doesn't even know the conversion rate,
> because this is determined by the payor, which performs the conversion
> before the bank deposit. We don't receive any notification from the payor
> (U.S. Social Security). IMHO, it should be enough to supply *either* the
> credited amount in CHF *or* the USD -> CHF conversion rate, since GnuCash
> can calculate one from the other, but GC won't allow me to click "OK"
> without supplying the USD -> CHF conversion rate explicitly. The scheduled
> transaction template has no place to enter the conversion rate, otherwise
> I would put in a formula based on the variable CHF amount. How can I get
> the scheduled transactions to complete, without knowing the conversion
> rate?

I think I would probably go for a SX with both sides zero (assuming it
lets you do that without insisting on a conversion ... haven't tried) and
edit it once I had the figures.

Either that, or just duplicate an earlier txn and edit the result,
instead of using SX.

That way, you enter *one* amount and, when prompted for the conversion,
enter the other amount. The program calculates the ratio for you.