This applies to the SQL backend only, the XML file has no version information.

Once you’ve populated the database the versions table should look like this:
Gnucash|2060800
Gnucash-Resave|19920
accounts|1
books|1
budgets|1
budget_amounts|1
commodities|1
lots|2
prices|3
schedxactions|1
transactions|4
splits|5
billterms|2
customers|2
employees|2
entries|4
invoices|4
jobs|1
orders|1
taxtables|2
taxtable_entries|3
vendors|1
recurrences|2
slots|4

Gnucash records the version of GnuCash that originally created the database.
Gnucash-Resave indicates the subversion commit number from the original
creation of the SQL schema; we’d bump that if we were to make a schema change
so dramatic that we needed to recreate the whole database (we haven’t yet). The
remaining records table schema versions. For those that aren’t 1 there will be
a comment section in the respective table implementation file labelled Upgrade
(e.g.
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/63714e5e93b2091b35bbd0d28f69bce03a397d3e/libgnucash/backend/sql/gnc-transaction-sql.cpp#L459)
 with a brief explanation of the change; you can use git blame to find the
commit for each of those lines to get to the commit which will usually provide
more details about it.

Regards,
John Ralls