Brook Milligan <br...@nmsu.edu> wrote:

> Is it really the case that the _only_ impact of account type is to change
> the headings in the GUI?

Weeeell, not completely. The actual question was "how does GnuCash treat
accounts (like Cash, Bank, or Credit) differently than the base accounting
type account  (Asset or Liability) that they clearly are?

If you search the code for all occurrences of ACCT_TYPE_CASH, pretty much
all cases are either setting the label, or using CASH in a logical
selection for any account of type ASSET.
There's a couple corner cases in assistants for some account types that do
things like offering to enter an interest split when reconciling  (if I'm
reading the code correctly) or offering a particular account type when
importing (OXF defaults to _BANK, for example)

This is one of the joys of open source software: we don't have to wait on
the word of the "vendor" (in this case, the core programmers), we're all
free to look at the code. :) I'm more than willing to trade code parsing
help for gnarly accounting question help with any of y'all.

Ross